Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir

 

I will say with hesitantion this is a bookclub book, since theres so much going on that having a group of people reading it with you helps find all the puzzle pieces. However there are many mysteries that are only revealed at the end. This is my second time reading Gideon and I loved it even more this series is highly rewarding if you read all the books that are out so far. I'm a sucker for a story where a loveable dope has to deal with some horror story level stuff. Alecto should be coming out sometime in 2024.


My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars 


Part of a series or Standalone: #1 in the Ninth House series


Genre: Science Fiction, High Fantasy 


Tropes: Not Like other girls, Enemies to Lovers, Power has a price, Magic, Coming of Age, Everyone has a motive


Things I liked: This book and series in general do a really good job of making you care really deeply about the characters. Which sometimes can make for really heartwarming or heartbreaking scenes. 


Things I disliked: This book has a lot of queer representation but very little of the story has any of the characters being romantically involved. While I know its not a romance novel I when I read it the first time I was told there would be lesbians so I was kinda hoping they would be making out at least. 


Audiobook or Physical? Audiobook is a must for Gideon! Moira Quirk does an amazing job, she has so many voices both male and female that are unique and amazing! 


Extras: Gideon's POV, if you read Homestuck when you were younger this might seem familiar 

Comments