An Affair of Poisons by Addie Thorley

 

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Even though it's short, I do feel that there was a good conclusion to it. A world where France's rebellions are fought with magic as well as force. Both Josse and Mirabelle come from very different worlds but learn what it means to have another persons back despite their past. 


My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars 


Part of a series or Standalone: Standalone 


Genre: YA Fiction, Romance, Alternate History 


Tropes: Bastard royal son, things aren't black and white, Unitended Consequences, Forbidden Romance, Alchemy, Rebellion, Secret Society, Royal Intrigue


Things I liked: I liked Mirabelle a lot! She had a lot of growing to do, and I felt she stepped up to the plate! 


Things I disliked: A whole rebellion with this much backstabbing and surprises would probably be better in a series. Things definitely felt a little rushed. I would have loved more time with the characters, even the more antagonistic characters. 


Audiobook or Physical? The audiobook was really good! I loved Emily Woo Zeller as Mirabelle. She's the narrator in a few other books that I love, like the Bone Witch Series! Tim Campbell definitely did an amazing job, too, as Josse! 


Extras: Multiple POV's (we get Mirabelle and Josse's) 

Comments