An American Marriage by Tayari Jones

 


I was really drawn in by these people's lives! It was very easy to be upset, happy, or annoyed along with the characters. This book was an intense experience. If you are looking for a book with drama, this is the one to read. 


My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars 


Part of a series or Standalone: Standalone 


Genre: Fiction


Tropes: Love Triangle, Injustice, Betrayal, What makes a marriage, Family


Things I liked: I enjoyed the switching of POV's. I think the story would have lost a lot if we had concentrated on just one persons side. Every time you started feeling more on one persons side, the POV would switch, and a whole set of feelings would be made known. 

Everything was so messy. It felt very real and imperfect. 


Things I disliked: As someone who is married, the infidelity does bother me. I would have preferred that they got divorced while he was still in jail. While that would have been harsh, it would have been more honest. 


Audiobook or Physical? I read the physical book, I had gotten a copy from a library book sale! I definitely would love to revisit this book and listen to the audiobook. 

Good Quote(s):  "You don't want no woman that brandished a firearm, son" -Big Roy


"But this is what loss has taught me of love. Our house isn't simply empty, our home has been emptied." -Celestial


Extras: Roy's, Celestial, and Andre's POV's 

Comments