The Musician and the Monster by Megan Van Dyke

 


This was a really good Retelling of Beauty and the Beast more of a fantasy spin to it. There's more magic and music happening in this story, which ends up adding on more of an enchanting element. With a dash of romance, can they heal each other while trying to uphold their responsibilities? 


My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars 


Part of a series or Standalone: Standalone 


Genre: Fantasy, Romance


Tropes: Magic, Royals, music heals, Monsters can hide, Don't go up the tower, Scars, Blood gives power, Forbidden Love, Slow Burn


Things I liked: The magic system was really interesting! It was well thought out and seemed pretty balanced. 

The mythology in this world was interesting as well. I would have loved if we spent more time on this. 

Cerdiwen and Drystan's romance was pretty good. The romance also helped to show their personalities since Cerdiwen was so headstrong and Drystan was a bit overprotective. 


Things I disliked: This book was way too short for everything that it had in it. I wanted more of everything! 


Audiobook or Physical? I got an ebook advanced readers copy. I hope they do an audiobook with actual musical performances in it. Since the music in here was such a large element, it would be awesome to see it shown off in a unique way. 


Extras: Cerdiwen and Drystan's POV

Comments