The Familiar by Leigh Bardugo

 


Anyone who loves fantasy or historical fiction will really have something to sink their teeth into here. I think a lot of people will really enjoy that this one isn't such a huge time commitment to read since it's a standalone. Which will help bring people into the fold so they can experience all the other books that Leigh has written over the years. 


My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars 


Part of a series or Standalone: Standalone 


Genre: Historical Fiction, Fantasy


Tropes: Cursed, Powerful, Magic, Forbidden Love, Like Calls to Like, Competition, The Mentor


Things I liked: I loved Luzia, she was such a strong main character, she knew herself and was able to believe in her abilities. She went for the things she really wanted, which is a trait to admire in anyone. 

Santangel was another really interesting character. He was so mysterious at first. It was so thrilling to read about him learning to really live again. It really made me grateful for everything that I have and take for granted.

Leigh's writing is so beautiful. She makes the characters stand out in a rich and real way. The way she sets each scene is just magical. 

The romances in this one are very satisfying! 

I was drawn into the story really quickly and found myself needing to continue the story. 


Things I disliked: There could have been way more details about everyone, I honestly would have loved if the book was a lot longer. 


Audiobook or Physical? The audiobook was spectacular! Lauren Fortgang has such an amazing voice for narrating, I also loved it when she did Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo. 


Extras: Multiple POV's (mostly Luzia and Santangel)

Comments