The Last Goodnight by Kat Martin

 


If you like a detective teaming up with a cowboy to solve a cold case murder then this will check all those boxes. There's a little romance, thriller, and mystery going on! This is also a part of a 5 books series, so you can spend some more time with these characters if you fall in love with them. 


My Rating: 3 out of 5


Part of a series or Standalone: #1 in Bloodlines


Genre: Mystery Romance 


Tropes: Killer Amoung US, Small Town, Cowboy, Private Detective, Gossip, High Stakes


Things I liked: The book did a really good job of setting up the rest of the series. I am actually considering reading the next book. 

The side characters were really neat. I felt that every character that was introduced really helped move the story along, as well as build suspense. 


Things I disliked: I feel like there was too much genre mixing. There was a mystery but not enough elements of a well formulated mystery for us to guess the killer as the clues came together. There were also a lot of romance elements going on as well, but with the morbid background, it was hard for me to get the warm fuzziness from Kade and Ellie. It would have worked a bit better if it was more strictly a romance or mystery this time. I found the two were distracting from each other rather than adding to the story. 

Some of the physical descriptions of women and men made me think a man wrote this book at times. It was just so surface level descriptions. 


Audiobook or Physical? I listened to the audiobook, which was okay. 


If any animals are abused, die, or are killed in this book: Smoke gets shot, which happens off screen. He does survive! 


Extras: Mostly Kade and Ellie's POV's

Comments