The Devil and the Dark Water by Stuart Turton


If you are a sucker for a classic locked room mystery this will be a really good read for you. I really like this author but I will say I had a hard time with this book which makes me sad since I loved his first book so much. Hopefully his 3rd book will be more my speed! 


My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars


Part of a Series or Standalone: Standalone 


Genres: Mystery 


Tropes: Locked Room, Genius Investigator, Reluctant Hero, Monsters Among Us, A Crew Divided 


Things I liked: The characters were all pretty interesting, it did feel like we were interacting with legends. 

The female characters were in the spotlight more which was nice. 


Things I disliked: Theres a lot of pacing issues, the story was very slow which didn't really add much to the plot in my opinion. 


Audiobook or Physical? I listened to the audiobook, it did take me three tries to listen to the whole book, I should have switched to the physical book at this point. I would have probably enjoyed it more that way. 


Extras: Multiple POV's 

Comments