Siren Queen by Nghi Vo

 


I liked this book a lot! It was easy to get into, and once you got going, you wanted to see where our girl ended up! A world where old Hollywood is run by sacrifice and blood magic, what would you do to become a star.


My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars 


Part of a series or Standalone: Standalone 


Genre: Historical Romance, Magical Realism 


Tropes: Power has a price, Blood Magic, A Star is Born, Only Women for Me, Taking Fate into Your Own Hands, Coming of Age


Things I liked: I am a little embarrassed to admit this, but it was so well described that I thought this was either autobiographical or based on someone's life events. It was so well written. At times, even the slight mention of magic was easy to excuse as maybe being hyperbolic. It wasn't until about halfway through the book that I realized this was completely fictional. 


Things I disliked: Luli wants stardom, but it's never really explained until the end what this means. Most of the book is very vague about the magical rules in this old Hollywood setting. 


Audiobook or Physical? The audiobook was excellent, Natalie Naudus really makes the character into the star that she is! 


Good Quote: “No maids, no funny talking, no fainting flowers.” 


Extras: Luli Wei's POV, LGBTQ+ representation 

Comments