Circe by Madeline Miller




 I have always loved mythology, so this was a special treat for me. If you love books with lots of tie-ins of famous myths and heroes, you will enjoy this book a lot. I've read it 3 times now and enjoyed it every single time. For a book club book, it had a lot to discuss! I also think that as a book club book, it has a little of something for everyone.


My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars 


Part of a series or Standalone: Standalone 


Genre: Fantasy Fiction, Historical Fiction 


Tropes: Unreliable Narrator, Not Like Other Gods, I Can Save Him, Showing Off the Research, Exotic/Mythical Locations, The MacGuffin, Side Quest destination. 


Things I liked: We get to see Circe grow up and learn hard lessons. She gets almost no direction, which is also her own fault, but she still comes out strong every time. There's a good amount of character growth as well as some hard questions that are brought up. 


Things I disliked: The pacing, especially at the end, was awful. Lots of good/deep philosophical questions were set up but not answered at the end. I'm also not a fan of endings where you have to assume that. that's what really ended up happening. I always want to see the story through rather than give a glimpse of something that could happen and probably did, but without the proof, it's just conjecture. 


Audiobook or Physical? I've listened and read the physical book twice now! Both provide an amazing experience. I do really love Perdita Weeks as the voice of Circe! 


Extras: Circe's POV, This was a Book Detectives book club pick in 2023 (picked by our own Detective Angst)

Comments