Dear Mr.Knightley by Katherine Reay

 


If you like Jane Austen's books, this book has many quotes and themes from her books. Sam is a plucky young journalist who learns that she must put away her book armor to actually live her life and be present. Which is a lot easier said than done. She has a lot of hard work to do, and we get to join her on her journey. 


My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars 


Part of a series or Standalone: Standalone 


Genre: Contemporary Fiction


Tropes: Epistolary, College, Journalism, Child of the System, Coming of Age, Austen Quotes everywhere


Things I liked: I really liked Sam, I think she is autistic and I love her as representation! Overall, her struggles were easy to relate to, I was able to understand her tendency to escape into books or just physically. 

Most of the book is presented to us as letters that Sam writes to Mr.Knightley, a generous college grant benefactor whose only real condition is that she writes these letters. It was such a unique way to experience the story. I hope to read more books that do this. 


Things I disliked: I honestly don't know how I feel about the ending. I wasn't satisfied with who Mr.Knightley ended up being. 

I honestly would have liked if the whole book was through letters. The last chapter or so really took me out of it, and that's why the ending didn't do it for me.


Audiobook or Physical? The audiobook was very good! Hillary Huber was a really good Sam. She did an excellent job of expressing the deep emotions that Sam has throughout the book. 


Extras: Sam's POV


Comments