A Thousand Ships by Natalie Haynes

 


This book is perfect for anyone who is obsessed with Greek mythology! I loved reading so many stories about women I had never heard of before, I was really impressed with the amount of new information that this provided to someone who is seasoned in Greek myths.


My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars 


Part of a series or Standalone: Standalone 


Genre: Historical Fiction, Fantasy Fiction 


Tropes: Greek Myth, Gods and Goddess, Female voices, Fate, Plots, Paying the Price, War, Monsters


Things I liked: I found Penelope's sections really interesting. Her being sassy to Odysseus just seems really fitting to me since he seems like the kind of man who would want a witty woman. 

I also really liked Penthesilea's, Creusa's, and Laodamia's stories they were all really moving and women that haven't really been talked about in the myths too much before. 

I loved that this book put such a strong spotlight on the females of the myths. 


Things I disliked: I don't think any of the myths were described too much in detail. However, it's a short book, so I think the length explaining each myth would have made the book unwieldy. However, without the detailed descriptions, I could see readers getting confused if they hadn't previously studied the myths.


Audiobook or Physical? This audiobook was amazing! The author reads it herself, and honestly, she's going to be the voice for Penelope to me forever now! 


If any animals are abused, die, or are killed in this book: A dog dies of old age 


Extras: Only female POV's 

Comments