The King in Yellow by Robert W. Chambers

 


This collection of stories read very much like old folklore or myths. I really enjoyed reading these. There's also just such a sense of accomplishment while finishing short stories. If you like tales that leave you wanting more and asking questions, these were almost like poetry. 


My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars 


Part of a series or standalone: A collection of short stories 


Genre: Horror Fiction, Short Stories 


Tropes: Artifact of Doom, Maybe Magic Maybe Mundane, Eldritch Location, Bilingual Bonus, Mad God


Things I liked: My favorite of the short stories was "The Mask" it was a good combination of weird stuff going down while also having some romance in there. I also really loved that the book referenced itself, though in the book the King in Yellow was a play written by the King in Yellow, whos an eldritch being of some sort. It was the perfect amount of confusing I even had to look up if this play was real or not since I wanted to read it as well. 


Things I disliked: The stories at the end had more romance than anything weird happening, I wanted more weird stuff to happen. More people driven mad and what not. 


Audiobook or Physical? I had the Kindle version of the book. It was pretty short, so it was a nice read. I do wanna listen to the audiobook in the future and see how that affects my experience. 


If any animals are abused, die, or are killed in this book: In the first story there is a cat that is killed by being stabbed with a knife the owner would also provoke the cat into attacking him. 


Extras: These stories actually inspired H.P Lovecraft himself!

Comments