Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi


      If you like historical fiction, this book is perfect. Even if you don't like historical fiction, I believe there's a good chance you will like this book. We get to meet so many people and see so much of history. I was honestly very impressed by the research that must have gone into this book. The intense emotional balance this book walks is a very delicate line, but the Yaa Gyasi does an amazing job here not letting it go too far. 
    

My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars 


Part of a series or Standalone: Standalone 


Genre: Historical Fiction, Saga


Tropes: History Repeats itself, Marriage of Convenience, Political and Social Upheaval, Generation After Generation, Showing off the Research


Things I liked: I really loved learning about all kinds of cultures I had never known their traditions about before. This book was so rich in emotion. It was utterly heartbreaking at times, which I felt very deeply, so it definitely accomplished its mission, I believe. 


Things I disliked: We did get only a glance at each ancestors life, I honestly would have read way more about their lives. 


Audiobook or Physical? Definitely have to listen to the audiobook! Dominic Hoffman is such an amazing narrator, I also liked his narration of A Starless Sea. I recognized his voice right away, which made me very excited to keep listening. 


Extras: Multiple POV's, multiple generations, are covered in this book.






Comments