Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne Collins

 


If you liked the Hunger Games, you would find this to be a fascinating read. There's lots of drama, action, and adventure to be had in this book. I didn't really know what to expect since the protagonist was Snow, but I ended up being pleasantly surprised by the book overall. I honestly hope there will be more YA books from Collins even if they aren't Hunger Games related. 


My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars 


Part of a series or Standalone: Prequel to Hunger Games series


Genre: Action Thriller


Tropes: Unreliable Narrator, Ambition is Evil, Fluid Morals, Blue Bloods, Caged Birds, Are Humans inheretly evil?, Chekhov's Gun, Politics, Mad Scientist, How the Mighty Have Fallen, I'm not like other guys, Love is a Weakness, Rebel Prince


Things I liked: It was really interesting to see the seeds that the Hunger Games grew from how frivolous ideas can end up being taken so far, how anything can end up hurting even the ones who wanted to control it. I liked learning the origins of the songs and even the science behind the birds that we see in the series later on. 


Things I disliked: All the relationships in this book just had me saying "yikes" throughout the whole novel. The vast differences in power dynamics that were happening here were very intense but also extremely concerning. Coriolanus was possessive, manipulative, and a coward, but he also learned all these traits in his environment. 


Audiobook or Physical? Audiobook was good, I do wish that Lucy Gray had gotten her own voice actress, at least for the parts where she was singing. I think reading the physical copy might have been a better experience for me, so I might pick up a copy and try that in the 


Extras: Coriolanus's POV, Excited for the movie that comes out next month (November 2023) 

Comments