The Shining by Stephen King


 I really like this book! It's also a really good pick for any bookclub since there's definitely a lot to unpack with this one. Of course, there's the movie, but there is also a mini series based on the book. The mini series follows the book pretty closely, so I would check that out, too, if I were you. Stephen King has also said that this book is slightly autobiographical so that's a very interesting insight into his personal life and struggles. 

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars 


Part of a series or standalone: #1 in the Shining duology 


Genre: Horror, Thriller, Psychological horror, Gothic fiction


Tropes: Good vs. Evil, Holy Family, Chekhov's gun, psychic abilities, haunted hotel, Snowed in, Corruption


Things I liked: I LOVED Hallorann in the book! I need them to make a new movie closer to the book with Idris Elba playing him cause hes amazing and handsome in my mind while I was reading this book. Also heres a picture of Idris so you can see what I was picturing. 


Things I disliked: This is more a general thing about how the Shining movie gives the book a bad rap. The book is VERY different from the movie. Definitely read the book if you liked or hated the movie cause I'm like 90% sure you will like the book more. 


Audiobook or Physical? The audiobook is really good! Campbell Scott really adds a lot to the mood of the novel with his narration! 


If any animals are abused, die, or are killed in this book: Dog gets kicked into gutter, which seemed like it died to me. A bunch of wasps die, which I'm not sure anyone will lose sleep over, but they are an animal, so I wanted to mention it. 


Extras: Multiple POV's, This was King's 3rd novel to get published, so he wasn't just writing to pay the rent, and we really see his writing gain depth in this novel.

Comments