Shut Up, This is Serious by Carolina Ixta

 


Anytime I read a novel with a Latina protagonist, I'm always nervous about how they will be protrayed however this book did us justice. Bringing to life a lot of the experiences I've had in a way that was nostalgic. Everything felt so real. I found myself really invested in what was going to happen to everyone in this novel. 


My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars 


Part of a series or Standalone: Standalone 


Genre: YA novel 


Tropes: Found Family, Applying to College, Teenage pregnancy, Dad Left, Absent Parents, Graduating Hangs on this one paper 


Things I liked: As a Latina myself, I felt this rang very true for the struggles I grew up with and struggles people around me went through as well. 

Even though all the characters are teenagers, I didn't have any trouble reading this book. All the characters acted their age, but the struggles were addressed honestly and realistically. 


Things I disliked: I would love to read more about these characters. I hope there's a second book coming! 


Audiobook or Physical? The audiobook was super good! Frankie Corzo does an amazing job, I loved their voices for all the characters. 


Extras: Belén's POV, debute novel

Comments